So, R.E.M. broke up. It’s not a band I ever particularly loved or had much feeling about. “(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville” is a good song. So is “Night Swimming.” “Everybody Hurts” soundtracked Angela Chase and “Losing My Religion” soundtracked a breakup I was really excited about because I was always a Dylan & Kelly girl. A lot of other folks have much lengthier and more meaningful thoughts on the band. Here are a few:
- The band and D.C.
- PopCandy’s favorite covers of R.E.M. songs.
- Kyle Gustafson on “R.E.M. and the crucial role they played in my musical development.”
- Because of the breakup, a Congressman has a sad.
OK, that’s all we have to say about R.E.M. Now on to the other stuff!
- BYT interviews The Rapture ahead of their stop at U St Music Hall this Sunday. You should definitely listen to their new album, because it is damn good.
- Modern Man, The State Department and Shark Week play DC9 this Saturday. Here’s a video for Modern Man’s “Big Big Heartbeat,” filmed at their last local show at the Black Cat.
- Nevermind just turned 20. NPR talks to Damien Jurado about Nirvana’s “Something In The Way.”
- The first time I heard 808s and Heartbreaks I thought, I don’t know if I think this is a very good album, but I am very sure that it is an important album. It’s an argument I’ve trotted out countless times but never really written down. Well, somebody else did that for me.
- A new album from Guided By Voices’ original lineup, coming this January.
- This song, “Letter to a Friend” by Pregnant, is pretty good. The video creeps me out, though.